As I prepare to teach a pinball-inspired kinetic sculpture program for the third time, I think back and realize just how far this project has come and how much I have learned by teaching it. The first iteration of the project consisted of a cardboard base, hot glue and tape for the connections, and a variety of activities where students learned about forces, motion, geometry, and measurement. The goal was for the boards to be able to stand at several different inclines so that the students could experiment with gravity and friction. To accomplish this, PVC pipe legs we provided were interchangeable and they attached to the base with nuts and bolts that penetrated both the PVC and a bracket made of cardboard. The legs fit into a base that was supposed to hold them square. What I learned during the first iteration of this project was that the amount of force applied to the sculpture by the students was greater than the structure I designed could handle. Also, the amount of content I was covering was more than a ten-week residency would allow. Our work in the schools is referred to as residencies. Each residency is one curricular unit that takes place once a week for ten weeks. Despite some setbacks, the students were extremely eager to test variables, they understood forces and motion and had an introduction to math concepts that were several years beyond their grade level. They rose to the challenge and took great pride in their projects.
Fast forward two years. The pinball project was reintroduced to new students after a complete makeover. The cardboard was replaced by pegboard and plywood, the PVC was replaced by a variety of slanted plywood bases, and the tape was replaced by machine screws, nuts, and corner brackets. The focus of the project was on construction, forces, motion, and measurement to ensure that all of the students would really grasp the concepts. There was still experimentation along the way. Several balls were used to experiment and determine the appropriate size and weight for the sculptures the students created. Additional pieces of wood were also used to prevent the ball from flying off of the board. The project was successful and the students’ work was showcased at the Superelectric Pinball Parlor at 78th Street Studios as part of the monthly art walk.
This year, the goal is to take the project to the next level. There were four key design challenges that were identified last year that I plan to address. The first challenge I identified was that the bases ended up not all being the correct size for the board. In my drawing plans of this year’s project iteration, I’ve included considerations for the slant needed to determine the length of the bases. The second design challenge is finding an appropriate dowel for the peg board.Previously, the smallest dowel we could find was too thick to fit into the pegboard. This year we will attach paint stirrers to 4″ nails or golf tees (both of which fit into the pegboard) so that the students will be able to create a variety of interchangeable paths for the ball to travel on through their sculpture. In the past, students had one fixed path in their sculptures. The third design challenge to be addressed is the edges of the board. In the plan I have designed, the edges have been altered and a 1/8″ plexi-sheet has been added to
the top that can be lifted off. This will prevent the ball from leaving the board once it is activated by the plunger. The fourth design challenge is mastering the plunger apparatus. This year we ordered 7″ long springs from a pinball machine part supplier. It has been difficult to find springs that are longer than a few inches and are easy enough for students to fully compress. Also, with a thicker edge (1/2″ plywood) and an extra block of wood in the center to guide the rod, we should have a more consistent pushing force. Instead of using pre-threaded rod from a store, we are using smooth rods. We are threading the top and bottom of each smooth rod using a die in the think[box] lab at Case Western Reserve University. Our threading should further enhance the spring driven force and reduce friction. The threading is needed to attach the plunger’s handle and prevent the spring from flying off.
I’m looking forward to sharing this project with a new group of students and yielding even greater results. Stay tuned for more updates on the implementation of this project.